You should apply at any Social Security office as soon as you become disabled. You may file by phone, mail or by visiting the nearest office. You can find out the name and address of the closest Social Security office here. If you want to apply by phone call our toll-free number, 1-800-772-1213, and we will set up a time for your local Social Security office to contact you.
Claims for disability benefits take more time to process than other types of Social Security claims--from 60 to 90 days. You can help shorten the process by bringing certain documents with you when you apply, and by helping us get any other medical evidence you need to show that you are disabled. Here is what you should bring us:
Information About You:
- Your Social Security number and proof of your age;
- Names, addresses and phone numbers of doctors, hospitals, clinics and institutions that treated you and the dates of treatment;
- Names of all medications you are taking;
- Medical records from your doctors, therapists, hospitals, clinics and caseworkers;
- Laboratory and test results;
- A summary of where you worked and the kind of work you did;
- Your most recent W-2 form, or your tax return if you're self-employed.
Information About Family Members:
- Social Security numbers and proof of age for each person applying for benefits
- Dates of prior marriages if your spouse is applying
IMPORTANT: You will need to submit original documents or copies certified by the issuing office. You can mail or bring them to Social Security. The Social Security Administration will make photocopies and return your original documents. If you don't have all the documents you need, don't delay filing for benefits.
If you or someone you know have been improperly denied Social Security Disability Benefits, contact us immediately by using our free online consultation form. A Social Security lawyer will review the facts of your claim. There is no charge or obligation for this service. Once we have received your information, a member of our staff will contact you concerning your claim.